The Mutilator Review


Director: Buddy Cooper

Cast: Matt Mitler, Ruth Martinez, Bill Hitchcock, Connie Rogers, Frances Raines, Morey Lampley, Jack Chatham, Bennie Moore


In the late 80's or possibly early 90's, I'm not sure, my mind isn't what it's cracked up to be these days, but there was a video store that I would always frequent before it was changed to Movie Gallery...those bastards! It was more of a mom and pop store that would carry over 300 horror movies. I really miss those days...ahhhhh!

Anyway, while I was in the back looking at all those wonderful horror movies, I came across one entitled THE MUTILATOR. I had never heard of it before, but from the cover and the description on the back, it was definitely my kind of movie. I decided to rent it, but after I brought it home and put it in the VCR, the damn tape broke. It was the only copy they had too, I was devestated...seriously, I was.

Fast forward to 2001. We finally got a computer and I signed up for ebay. I was browsing the horror section when I found a copy of THE MUTILATOR for sale, so I picked it up right away. It was pretty cheap too and I couldn't resist. When it arrived, I finally got to see the movie that I've been dying to view ever since that tape broke many years ago and let me tell you, it was so worth the wait!

As a young boy, Ed accidentally killed his mother with one of the guns that he was cleaning for his father's birthday. This drove his father crazy and rightly so. Years later, Ed and his college friends are trying to make plans for fall break when Ed gets a mysterious call from his father asking him to close up his house at the beach. Ed doesn't know why and refused to do it, until his friends convince him that they would help, but it would also be a great way to spend this vacation, they could party hearty.

However, when they get there, things just doesn't seem right, but they dismiss it and try to have some much needed fun.

Big mistake as the friends are being met by horrible deaths, each more gruesome than the last.

The one thing about THE MUTILATOR is that you know who the killer is the whole time. I'm not going to say, in case you haven't seen it yet, but it's obvious because the killer's identity is known not too far in the movie. However, it doesn't ruin the movie in any way, so don't fret about that.

I just adore 80's slashers and this one has it all....chessy dialogue, really gruesome deaths (do not rent the R rated version. If you can, make sure the cover says unrated or you're pretty much screwed) and one of the stupiedest, but very catchy opening songs I have ever heard. That song is called Fall Break, which upon checking IMDB, was also an alternate title for this movie. Good thing they changed it...hehe!

I highly recommend THE MUTILATOR for a fun and gore-filled slasher night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zombarella's House of Whorrors Review

Crowley Review

Gates of Gore's Team